Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Did I Mention?


I am allergic to Citrus (among many other things). But recently, my citrus allergy has become much worse. Over the years I would drink my OJ,  lemonade, and my favorite- a Lime Rickey. I would eat the lemon bars, the grapefruit candies, etc etc etc. The worst thing that would happen, most of the time, would just be a phlegmy throat (which would also happen with milk/dairy and corn) Nowadays, starting back in October or so, I completely would break out in hives, got a giant rash on my neck that wouldn't go away, stuffy nose, sneezing, congestion, coughing, itchy watery eyes, and so on. (all symptoms of mild to moderate Anaphylaxis) After awhile I realized that it was indeed my citrus allergy. It no longer only includes fresh citrus. I now also have to steer clear of Citric Acid, which by the way is found in nearly every product created by man. Shampoos, conditioners,(no more Biolage for me :( ) face wash, fruit juice, jelly, candy, and these days it seems like every other food product. Luckily it has caused me to continue, without temptation, my non-soda drinking habits (no more lemonade and Lime Rickeys) my processed food consumption, nearly everything processed has citric acid-from canned tomatoes(luckily I don't really like tomatoes) to ice cream. Now the hardest thing for me is to not eat berries. Most berries naturally contain citric acid, and I am definitely having trouble with not eating fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. I also have caved and had some salsa, that was just screaming citrus acid. Anyway, just thought I would throw this out there. Just needed to vent a little! (oh, and in case you were wondering...I am also allergic to: everything corn, corn syrup, cornstarch(it's getting worse too!!) Cats, Dogs, Horses, Sheep (heck, we'll just say every hairy animal known to man) Tobacco, Dust, Grass, Pollen and I'm sure a few other things I haven't figured out yet.) What are you allergic to?

3 comments:

Megan said...

How frustrating. I'm sorry. I'm not allergic to anything (that I know of yet!) but my friend's little girl has life-threatening allergies, and she has a cool blog: http://allergylog.blogspot.com/ where she shares all kinds of ideas and resources for dealing with allergies. There are cookbooks and websites for avoiding certain foods, which I'm sure you already know about, but maybe she has some new ideas. :) Good luck!

Clare14 said...

Yikes!! I'm so sorry Calley. I'm not allergic to anything thankfully because there is no way I would have the patience to really pay attention to what I eat. Really pathetic actually.

Ashley said...

I am allergic to soap. Mostly the really perfumy kinds. I stay with milder things and they work great for me. I would hate to not be able to eat fresh fruits!